Leicester is a right-handed dual-purpose track around one and a half miles in length. The course has changed ever so slightly for National Hunt chase races in the last couple of years, with the open ditch being moved on to the home straight now and is one of four fences to be jumped on the run-in.
Leicester is a busy racecourse with 30 race meetings taking place each year and all year round, the most notable meetings in 2012 being;
• April Meeting – this features Leicester’s best quality race, the Leicestershire Stakes, a Listed contest on the flat over seven furlongs for horses aged four and over.
• Diamond Jubilee Raceday – a 2-day meeting in early May celebrating the Royal Diamond Jubilee and featuring live music to entertain the crowds.
• Ladies’ Day – in early July and again featuring live music. A major social occasion.
• Family Fun Day – an excellent chance to bring the kids along in the height of the summer to this mid-August meeting.
• Post Christmas Family Fun Day – staged between Christmas and New Year, this race meeting gives families a chance to keep themselves entertained during the holidays.
BELVOIR GRANDSTAND – those purchasing tickets for this glass fronted structure enjoy the benefit of great views of the action, but can also make use of all other public areas of the course, including the Parade Ring, Winners Enclosure and the Winning Line. Naturally race goers are well catered for with various bars, restaurants and fast food outlets at hand.
GRANDSTAND – access here is granted to the main grandstand and also Winners Enclosure and Parade Ring. Once more food and drink outlets are available.
HOSPITALITY AND EVENTS
Those at Leicester Racecourse pride themselves on offering not only great service, but also choice. Hospitality can be booked in a wide variety of areas and in different ways, as listed below;
The Club Room – a private facility which can be booked for anything up to 120 guests.
Executive Boxes – situated right over the winning line and therefore offering tremendous views of the action, the Executive Boxes cater for up to 40 people in each.
Nelson Restaurant – for smaller groups and even couples, tables here can be booked and excellent food and service enjoyed. A 2-course carvery or 4-course A La Carte menu are available for diners.
Paddock Pavilion – Again for up to 120 guests, the Pavilion is situated on the paddock lawn making it one of the more picturesque locations to book. The paddock marquee is available for events during summer race meetings from June to September.
Parking is free at Leicester and there is space for 2000 cars, excellent for racing and non-racing events. There is a conference centre taking care of exhibitions, conferences, banquets and parties of all sizes showing off Leicester’s various capabilities. With this professional service offered for corporate clients and the emphasis on families, live music and fun at the racecourse Leicester has proven its versatility and remains one of the key sporting venues of the Midlands.
[table id=29 /]